Friday, June 21, 2013

1008 miles east...

or 1622km for the rest of the world.

We've been meaning to announce this on the blog for some time now...but just haven't had the time to get around to it, but we slack off on the blog a lot!

But next year, we will be living in a new country, 1008 miles east of Cairo.

Things didn't quite work out the way we wanted them to with my school this year. We absolutely love Cairo and Egypt and while it may not be the easiest life here, we are very sad to be leaving. But things just didn't work out for us to stay, so it's time for our overseas adventure to move east.

I was hired at what seems to be a wonderful school where I will be given a lot of opportunities to grow professionally, which I didn't get here. We also will be able to accomplish more of our financial goals there...and our travel goals, which is a huge perk. It may not have the same excitement, culture and charm of Cairo, but it's the right move for us at this time.

During my spring break, I took a trip over to our new home to check things out, spend some time at the school, but the main purpose was to move over many of our belongings ahead of time so we didn't have to trek them back to the states over the summer just to bring them all the way back this way again come August. I took the trip on my own while Mike stayed behind.

Here was my flight path....


Kuwait is, obviously, a lot different from Cairo. It was very organized and very westernized. Before I went, a friend told us that Kuwait is like the 51st state. Going there, I found that statement proved very true. It felt like I had just traveled to America....just with a lot more Arabs walking around. While I was there I stayed with my new principal and she showed me around. We went to different grocery stores and malls. I also spent two days going to the school and meeting people and watching how things work. The school is huge and has an enormous amount of resources and everyone was really nice. The staff were all happy and laughing and had life in them. A very different environment from where I am working now. That was the best thing to see. They seemed to deal with a lot of the silly BS that I deal with, but not to the point where they have become totally beaten down about it.

Kuwait will be a very different experience for us, but we are excited for what lies ahead.

Here are some pictures from my trip.

View from my principal's flat

Zoom-in of the skyline

Clean, organized paved streets


Stop lights and cars in lanes


Arabian Gulf
Very western stores

Soooo many western products

View from inside The Avenues, one of the big malls ---see the men in white, those are Kuwaiti men :)

The classrooms are HUGE!

You can just see from this picture how many resources are available

Kuwait coastline at sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment