Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Honesty?

We haven't posted in so long. Part of it is because I think I just kind of lost my excitement for the blog.

When we started the blog it was so that we could "journal" about our experiences. I don't just mean the fun stuff like seeing Sufi Dancers and going to the Pyramids. I mean, all of our experiences, the good, the bad, the ugly and the downright frustrating/infuriating moments of our life here.

We have dealt with a lot in the last three months and really it just keeps coming. But I can't share about it on the blog. I can't pour out my thoughts and feelings here like I would have hoped I could. And it's not because I don't want to worry family or upset our readers or offend people or any of that. This is our blog and I will write what I want to write regardless of if it may offend people or whatever the case. Or so that's what I thought I would do. However, I can't do that. Our blog is too public and the reality is, we don't live in America. We are not protected by the 1st Amendment. There is no freedom of speech here. I can't post about the struggles I deal with at my job because I am not protected by the same rights and laws that employees have in America.

It's hard to say if I would have done it differently if I had known better. I could have made the blog more private. Maybe given it a password to enter. Or only viewable by people who have the link. But that's not what I wanted. I wanted it to be public and viewable by anyone. When I was researching about moving abroad and learning about different countries, one of the resources I used the most was blogs from teachers living and working in that country. The blogs gave me the best perspective of what it would be like as a teacher living there. That was part of my goal in starting this blog also. So making it private didn't ever cross my mind. Not to mention, when you are an American and have lived in America your whole life, you never think about not being protected by laws and rights. You are so used to being protected by them, that its so normal and you needn't ever give something like speaking your mind on the internet a second thought. American's really take their rights for granted. If there is one thing I have learned here, it is that.

So we are going to try to post more often and show you our adventures and show you what Egypt is like.....but you won't see a truly negative post or a post about my job, the reason I came here, unless it is photos or taking events or something positive. Not being able to fully express my thoughts and experiences here bums me out and it's why I don't get motivated to make posts anymore. If you want to know the "bad and ugly" you will have to just talk to us in person. :)

However, do believe, once we are back on American soil, I will post the honest truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment